1. Salutes! You came into the consciousness with the album Et Fugit Intera Fugit Irreparabile Tempus (2004), then with it´s succesor Near death experience (2006) and now, through Debemur morti prod. “Mescalyne” Ep is out! Spektr as a band are remaining quite mysterious, almost no one knows more about you. Would you agree to uncover some interesting info about Spektr for fans or is the anonymity totally suiting you and you will keep it?
There is not much to say about us personally, Spektr has to be considered as a whole entity. Most of people involved already know we concretely act as a duet .
2. With “Mescalyne” band enourmously progressed concerning the sound quality. It´s still raw and ruthless but perfectly legible and mind-blowing. Music hasn´t changed so much but it still remained unnerving experience. How long did you search for this sounding? Especially I must praise the sounding of drums and particularly drummer´s skills!! Will you try to achieve this sound quality in a future or it depends on cash? And also I must ask, where you recorded it? At home or in studio?
We didn't search for that kind of sound for a long period actually, it was a choice for sure, but it came naturally as everything comes with Spektr .
This had to be organic, ways much more than the previous material and for particular reasons . The future sound will be different as the future material will encounter another paradigm in the Spektr dimensions.
We use to record everything by ourselves but also handling everything coming to Spektr.
3. How will Spektr sound in the future? Will you try to progress as it will be possible or you will refine your current musical state? I don´t want to interfere but it would be a big loss to see Spektr stagnating!
Surely will it be powerfull but dirty as fuck, more ethereal and less organic than Mescalyne is .
As we said in the previous question, everything comes naturally, as the project "Spektr" is the product of a will we're concentrating.
4. Lyrical themes...another Spektr´s mystery. We can just guess what they are about. Song titles are little prompting, but I will better ask you. Are you participating both in the process of writing lyrics? Could you name some influences or themes you like to write lyrics about?
If there's not a lyric written in our booklets it's because as you said people can just guess it, and we think that's the best way to personalize one's inner feelings and resentment with the Stream.
Writings are processed with another level of consciousness ; visual and audible experiences, a universal language that can come through automatic writing.
5. Black metal and ambient. Two main pillars for Spektr´s music. How are you composing music? One records black metal parts and other just readjusts them with ambient? Which genre you like more? Metal or ambient?
What’s sure is that we don’t separate the work like you mentioned, there’s no big plan nor particular attachment to a certain task – we do both lay it all the way this has to be at the time and place .
We pick everything up that comes black and generally appealing to us no matter what style or label is it . We’re in a sorta thirst for absoluteness and prime Essence.
6. During listening I find Spektr quite Cinematographic. Chilling ambient parts together with samples from movies. Do you like watching them? Which movies carved into your memory most? Could you tell us some sources from where did you take the samples, monologues etc..? I think that sample from Prodigy´s "Music For The Jilted Generation" appears on one Mescalyne song.
I don’t see what sample you mention, would be interesting to know…
We realised after the first album was made that our music included a certain visual experience, hence the choice to work on a video for the N.D.E. piece .
It’s a fact we enjoy lots of movies, picking just one out would be reductive, but it’s no mystery if I say that for example one sample on Mescalyne is from “Das testament von dr Mabuse” by Fritz Lang.
7. You expressed your affinity to visual representation in video "Near death experiences (the screen method)". You made it alone or you took a help of professional? And primarily...do you plan to return to this kind of expression? This would be perfect...
We started to work with a realisator with whom we made the part for title “Vizualization”, then we chose to continue it on our own as we tend to do every damn thing by ourselves without any exterior interference plus it took a whole year for 3 minutes working with him whereas in a couple of months we achieved the 9 others.
This will be done again, be sure.
8. What about musical influences? Spektr are quite unique but I guess that there are some artist that has influenced you. What are you listening to? And do you feel to be bound with some other bands? When Spektr cames into my mind usually bands Blut aus nord and The axis of perdition crawl there too. Especially "The axis" music has a similar cinematographic vibe which I feel in your music.
We’re grown black metal freaks for sure and with time and experiences it evolved as a whole idea and feeling for things that are true to their prime essence – as we said earlier we look for what’s appealing to us no matter labels or style .
Blut aus Nord and A.O.P are ones of the great phenomenons of today, that’s for sure, the latest Abigor “Fractal Possession” is of real interest too.
When we began we had Thorns, Manes, Dodheimsgard, some Satyricon or Gorgoroth (I don’t think I should make a list there) some classics in mind, but I think at the time all those inspirations were already assimilated due to our previous musical efforts.
9. Now about your side projects...namely Haemoth, Battlehorns and Demonium. Haemoth were quite active and they produced great music (really similar to Spektr´s black metal side haha) but after Kontamination (2005) there is no info about them... Have you decided to freeze your side-projects and dedicate yourself fully to Spektr? Will you ever ressurect them?
Battlehorns is not active anymore, a Demonium MCD is planed for 2008, and Haemoth never stopped to be, a recording is planed for 2008, there are no project more important than another one, just that there was a lot of recording to do first, Spektr, Demonium, Inpestae...
10. What is with your concern about phenomenoms like Near death experience, Out of body experience, Lucid dreaming etc..? Are you trying to achieve such manners or have you even experienced them?
The mind is a terrible thing to taste, a lot of manners can bring you to different mind experiences….
11. Ok, we are almost at the end. What do you plan with Spektr and what are your goals? If you are interested you can write here something for the readers of Mortem zine. BIG thanks and I wish you enough amount of musical ideas.
The next Spektr album is on the way, no date of release yet, no particular plans, we’ll just follow our feeling, as usual.