1. Hails Infernus! At the beginning I would like to convey our support to you, as the founder of Gorgoroth. I know that I am not alone and I know that the recently happened things were annoying, but can you in short lighten up this case?
Hey there, first of all, let me thank you for the support. I appreciate that! I think that there has been a lot of info coming out lately, basically from the other guys, trying to explain all the hows and whys of the situation. The thing is that we have decided not to work together anymore. and it was the two other guys initiative. I have observed them giving quite a lot of effort in order to legitimize the way it was done. Fact is that I have no problem accepting that we shall not work together anymore, for whatever reason which is brought up. But, as the founder of the band, the main initiative during all its years, the one who choosed the name and picked out the logo, I understand it to be my right to continue using that, together with my new line-up, for the upcoming years. And as I understood after a while, the bassplayer, which btw. is the 6th or 7th (!) in the line, did go behind my back in the beginning of September, actually before the south American tour we had then, and IN SECRECY filled out a formal paper applying to trademark that name and logo I do believe I according to Norwegian law own. What i feel or think about that can be irrelevant to the media, but fact is that I am not accepting them using the name, and am now taking legal action towards him and them. That`s the short version.
2. This one is probably quite personal, but how you reconciled with this “infliction”? Have you expected this kind of behavior from Gaahl and King or it was totally unexpected?
Maybe I can be a bit naive and at times have too high expectatons of certain people, that can be a part of my personality. But to expect this, no, really not, I did not expect anything like that. Given the history in which the vocalist at numerous point of times, for whatever reasons he might have had, considered quitting, even going public with that, and the fact that the bassplayer actually quitted in the middle of 2006 due to some problems he had at work as a primary school teacher, the thing I should expect would perhaps be something more like they withdrawing from the band and starting up something on their own, given I have been as difficult to work with as they have proclaimed to the media.
3. Both of your ex-colleagues mostly referred about fact, that you were not contributing to the band and to the composition of the music. It’s that true?
They can refer to whatever they want, but that would be irrelevant nevertheless. It is the nature of the situation that they have to justify their actions, as they are the active agent, not me.
4. Nevertheless the verdict of Norwegian patent office was announced: Do you intend to intervene? I suppose that Gorgoroth belongs to you as the founder of the band so you should own the trade name. So how it will be with both bands and how the name will be settled?
First of all, let me make that clear. It was not a verdict. If I want to trademark coca cola one day, what I have to do is to go to the patent office and fill out a form. Nevertheless, I should be prepared for it - the initial decicion taken - to be taken through a serie of re-evaluations at the two departments of the same office, and eventually await the coca cola company to take the issue to court. It is in court cases one gets a verdict. I thought everyone knew that, hehe.
5. You announced your new line-up, composed of the members from Dissection and Obituary. Even Tormentor will return! Have you selected the line-up by yourself or those members volunteered willingly to you? Who will be sing?
Hehehe, I am really happy with this new opportunity which arosed. I simply started off with some hours of active thinking and considerations, then picked up the phone and called them. No more hocus pocus than that. So you can say it`s both me picking them and they willingly saying yes. Hehe.
6. Have you thought about calling back some of the past members of Gorgoroth? I thought about Ares, Samoth, Kvitrafn…
Acta non verba man. Whatever I might have been thinking should be of no relevance for the media. I have by now teamed up with two of my favourite persons and musicians for the upcoming live recording and future live shows, and I am happy with that.
7. As was said you decided to continue and you also announced the title of the new album! Can you foreshadow how you imagine the recording and if the new album will be more death metal (because of the new line-up) and what means “Quantos possund ad Satanitatem Trahunt” in English?
Those who can recollect our news section back then, remember I started off writing the material back in October 2006. Whether it will be more or less one kind of metal than another, should be up to the listener to judge as soon as it is available. We will start the rehearsals in tomas' studio in Stockholm this summer, and record the drums there by the end of summer. then taking the tapes with to another studio which not yet has been decided and continue there until we are properly finished and satisfied.
8. Do you intend to go on the tour after the release of new album, or you will stay away from live playing?
We will be doing live shows as soon as we are 100% prepared for that.
9. Regain records have backed you up. So you have at least recording reliance. How are you satisfied with the label? Do you have some conception about the production of the album?
I am very satisfied with them. As I have been since I started working with them for three and a half years ago. It`s not as big a label as we have been used to be at earlier on, but they are hardworking, honest and pushing things in a direction which suit the needs of the band. Also, the personal relationship this time works out for the best. I am really fond of them, and of course, not at least in this situation - happy to have them backing up me and my new line-up.
10. Tell us, do you think that “Bergen 1996” released by Regain rec. has some perspectives? Don’t you think that it is just an attempt to pull more money from the fans? I think that it is quite useless to just remaster “the last tormentor” EP. In addition, why there are just two songs on EP?
It was originally released in a limited edition of 666 copies, so I do not agree with your point of view there. This was a demand from the market, not a way to get some easy cash. I have always been in it for the metal and the satanism, not for the cash or the rock star status. History speaks for itself. If the fans want it - buy it. If not, do not.
11. Except Gorgoroth you are working on some other projects. How are the things with Orcustus? Demo materials sounded really promisingly to me. Can we expect the full-length album?
Heheh, its probably the slowest working band in the world. But, yes, you can expect a full-lenght to be released. When that would be, is yet not settled. So far we have been recording drums, bass and guitars. Time will tell.
12. I’m honored that it happened to have a interview with you. You asked for the shorter one, so thanks again and I wish you success!
Last words are yours.
It was my pleasure man. Always good to relate to some journalist who has done his homework before coming here with the questions. Thanx for your time, and best of luck. Hail Satan!